Wednesday, August 24, 2011

WWoW: Clever lost 5 year old girl in California.

When I was 5 I had to take a bus to another school from the school I lived near.  The school I lived near had too many kindergarten children.  One day when they brought me home they brought me home to the wrong stop.    I was 5 years old and had no flipping clue where I was.  I asked some people how do I get to my street and they told me a direction.  I was scared but I started walking.  A strange car was following me which made me more nervous but I ignored them and kept walking.  I got to a gas station and a van with two strangers in it stopped and told me that they were friends of my parents and wanted to bring me to them.  I told them NO Thank you I dont know you.  They argued with me and kept insisting but I refused to get close enough to them.  No way in hell was I getting in the van of strangers thanks.    I figured out that I needed to get across a very busy and scary street.  I was taught that I could not go across the street without an adult holding my hand.  I did not know what to do because I also knew that I was not supposed to talk to strangers.  I paced there completely unsure what to do.  And a small miracle happened.  A little old lady came up to the corner.  I knew I could trust her so I asked if she would walk me across the street.  She did.  I was then in very familiar territory and walked home.  No one was there. So I sat on the steps and a little while later my parents came they were so glad I was safe.

I have often wondered why I am able to be so calm in crisis I think its because I learned it early.  I can be scared out of my mind but I am able to work through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment